Chocolate Upside-Down Cake
This was a favourite cake at Chocolate Tasting Day at work several times. To really enjoy this cake, accompany with a big glass of cold milk!
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee, boiling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Cream together 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Add the milk and vanilla and mix.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and 3 tablespoons cocoa, and add to the mixture.
- Spread into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan. The batter will be thick.
- Combine 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup cocoa. Sprinkle this over the batter.
- Finally, pour 1 1/4 cups boiling double strength coffee or water evenly over all.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
From my Recipe Box.